Sunday, April 22, 2012

earth day every day


When we take the time to look around and soak in
our beautiful surroundings, there is so much to be
thankful for and preserve for the future.

In celebration of Earth Day, I'd like to share
22 ways I show it I love it:

1. People go crazy for napkins at a restaurant for some reason -
always picking up more than they need. I take these unused
piles home with me & haven't had to buy napkins for years. 
I use them as paper towels for cleaning as well.

2. If I'm waiting for the water to get hot to do dishes, I fill up 2
pitchers I use to water plants - this way I'm not wasting
water down the drain.

3. I try not to consume beverages in plastic bottles.  I bring my reusable
earthlust bottle with me everywhere and drink a lot of water.

4. I use an aquasana water filter at home that hooks to my faucet.

5. I don't buy anything (food, beauty products, etc.), until I am 100% out -
I find I waste a lot less this way, squeezing every bit out of each thing.

6. I use rechargeable batteries, even for my camera!

7. I print on both sides of the paper whenever I can, and cut up used paper
or envelopes to use for notes and lists, then recycle.

8. I diligently unplug the phone charger when it's not in use - my
phone even tells me when it's charged and to unplug it!.

9. I use reusable shopping bags for everything. The grocery store,
the drug store, and the mall.

10. I always do all my laundry with cold water.

11.  I save every piece of gift wrap I've received and reuse it.
I haven't bought gift wrapping for probably 6-7 years!

12.  I changed 95% of my light bulbs to CFL's.

13. I take home products that can be recycled that establishments
or other people don't have the ability to recycle.

14.  You name it, I recycle it.

15.  I try to save errands for one trip, driving less frequently.

16.  I use things multiple times before trashing (e.g. both sides
of the cotton pad or eye makeup remover pad).

17.  I am a supporter of drinking local beer/wine, wherever I am.
Lowers the carbon footprint!

18.  I turn off the faucet when brushing my teeth.

19.  I pay bills online and use checks sparingly.

20.  I took myself off the junk mail list and the phone book list.
With the exception of those pesky local coupons,
it has worked for years!

21.  I won't ever leave lights on when I'm not home or in that
particular room.

22.  Most importantly, I recognize, appreciate, enjoy and praise this
wildly beautiful earth we live on and love to capture it in
nature photography whenever I can.

Please tell me your tips in the comments and I'll
try to incorporate them into my life as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment